Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2020 – find out what we are doing this year
Welcome to our Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2020 blog post! In this article we are going to take a look at the origins of the Black Friday phenomenon in retail, importantly why Cyber Monday came about for online purchasing and we also unveil Creased’s very own ‘Purple Weekend’ deal – for savvy savings on our brilliant cards.
- What is Black Friday?
- Cyber Monday follows Black Friday
- What is Creased Purple Weekend?
- How to make the most of the Purple Weekend
- Our top 5 selection of Christmas cards below
- Supporting Small Independent businesses
- Indies we love
You’ve heard the stories about stores completely selling out of stock, supermarkets being mobbed by punters thirsty for a bargain and shelves emptied within minutes of doors opening. This year though is a little different as lockdown in the UK has meant consumers are shifting their buying habits from physical to digital. We are seeing the way transactions are made changing from instore to online purchases. Don’t forget our full range of cards is available online for you to browse and shop in the comfort of your own home – shop here.
What is Black Friday?
Black Friday originated in America. As Thanksgiving always falls on the fourth Thursday in November, the following Friday is often observed as an unofficial holiday. Many people are off work that day and shops drop prices. This usually lasts for one day only to start the Christmas season off with a bang.
UK shops have caught on to this trend in recent years. Between 2010 and 2013, Black Friday gradually built up momentum in the UK. The year of 2014, Black Friday was the peak pre-Christmas online sales day and online retailers haven’t looked back since. In 2019, total retail spending during Black Friday was forecast to reach 8.57 billion British pounds, the highest among many other countries in Europe.
In 2018, more than four million transactions were processed on Amazon’s UK platform on Black Friday only. For instance Amazon’s own-brand devices dominated the list of leading products that filled consumers’ Black Friday carts.
Black Friday makes for an alternative opportunity to buy Christmas gifts. A 2019 survey demonstrated that surpassing Pre-Christmas and Boxing Day sales, Black Friday was the most popular shopping event UK consumers preferred to participate in. This year’s Black Friday is on Friday, 27 November. Creased Purple Weekend sale starts on 27.11.20 so don’t miss out!
Cyber Monday follows Black Friday?
Following Black Friday, Cyber Monday is a marketing term for the Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday in the United States. It was created by retailers to encourage people to shop online. The term was coined by Ellen Davis of the National Retail Federation and Scott Silverman. It made its press debut on November 28, 2005, in a Shop.org statement entitled “‘Cyber Monday’ Quickly Becoming One of the Biggest Online Shopping Days of the Year”.
Cyber Monday is also known as Blue Monday. However, this nickname doesn’t deter shoppers, notably in 2019 UK shoppers were expected to spend more over Cyber Weekend than they did on Black Friday itself, both online and offline! This year’s Cyber Monday is on Monday 30 November. You can shop Creased Purple Weekend deals until midnight on 30th November.
What is Creased Purple Weekend?
We think Black Friday and Cyber Monday can be a little tedious. The same deals from the same large corporations, with little variety or intrigue. Bored of the usual 10% off high price items or the free delivery promotion? You will be very pleased to hear about our Purple Weekend!
For four days we are offering 25% off across our full range of cards… that’s a quarter off the price when you checkout! To receive the offer all you need to do is check out this link with more info on how to get your hand on a sweet 25% discount on all of our brilliantly different cards – 25% OFF HERE
You may already know that by now we like to do things a little differently here at Creased, after all one of our taglines is ‘Brilliantly different cards’. Following our theme of doing things in a unique way, we are proud to present our Purple Weekend running from 27.11.20 – 30.11.20. Four days of bargains for you to satisfy your savings cravings. Sales starts at midnight 26/11/2020 and ends at midnight on 30.11.20.
How to make the most of the Purple Weekend
We aren’t suggesting limiting your fun when shopping for greetings cards from our range of brilliantly funny cards. However, we are going to give you some pointers on how to make the most of the sale.
- Don’t just think about birthdays in 2020 – why not stockpile for next year? The only thing going out in a 2020 birthday are the bins
- Think about other occasions – new home, engagement, thanks – thanks a million sounds better.
- Buy your cards in families – think of your friend, her husband and their children – think about having a drink with friends
- The ‘C’ Word… Christmas is just around the corner – check out our selection of 5 unique Christmas cards below
Top 5 Selection of Christmas Cards
- Husbands secretly want nice Christmas cards too. ‘Have a wonderful Christmas Husband’ – get the card here
- A card to send to send if you know 5 Scrooges, this is a multipack of cards saying ‘Christmas F***ing hates you too’ – get the card here
- Want to say it like the Italians do? Merry Christmas from your ‘Bambino’ will let you know your parents you haven’t forgotten about them – get the card here
- For some classic Christmas turkey banter with a celebrity pun thrown in ‘Gwyneth Poultry’ – get the card here
- Make sure your friends know how important the Christmas spirit is with ‘Don’t spill a drop’ from Rosie Made A Thing – get the card here
Supporting Small Independent Businesses on Black Friday
During this difficult time for all businesses we know it is important to not forget about independents. Local businesses form a significant part of the UK economy, with small businesses accounting for 99.3% of the UK’s private sector businesses. Important to note that Indies also make up 60% of all private sector employment.
To the big corporate giants your custom is probably just a faceless transaction but to small independent businesses first and foremost you are a valued customer! You also don’t have to miss out on any of the convenient features the corporates offer because at Creased we can compete with the big boys on customer service. Why not try our handwritten service here or take a look below at some of our brilliant customer reviews below
Indies we love – support them this Black Friday too
It’s not all about Creased though, and as a small independent business, we know the importance of word of mouth when it comes to indies. We’ve made a note of some of our favourite independent stores that you can shop with online. Take a look below at these brilliant small businesses and support them if you can:
- For the best selection of Independent magazines available, check out Magazine Brighton
- Gorgeous gifts and homeware what you are after? Check out England At Home
- If you are after some dapper menswear then Jump The Gun is for you
- For show stopping costume jewellery check out Baroque
Stay safe and well during the run up to Christmas, from all at Creased.
- Get the 20 best short poems for greetings cards!
- Independent business insights – ways to innovate and keep smiling
- Mother’s Day 2021 – How to make Mother’s Day marvellous
- Lockdown Love – Keep Valentine’s Day 2021 romantic during restrictions
- Don’t Let Lockdown Get You Down – Reasons to smile with Creased
- Happy New Year – The Creased Guide to 2021